Building and Grounds
Idylwood Presbyterian Church’s original building was erected in 1915. The Klock House was built in the 1950s to add a kitchen, fellowship hall, and Sunday School rooms. Indoor plumbing was made available for the first time! The building has remained the same since that time, with the addition of central air conditioning and some renovations and repairs.
The property includes a native oak overstory glade—a place where the forest understory was removed long ago but was not farmed; hence the native soils, soil micro-organisms, and seedbank for diminutive native grasses and wildflowers were retained. This semi-natural area has native plant species and habitat for pollinators. The old oak trees are the prominent feature of this neighborhood green space, while native wildflowers crop up in their season.
Native plants which grow at Idylwood Presbyterian Church:
- Poverty oatgrass
- Spring beauties
- Violet wood sorrel
- Rattlesnake weed
- Mountain laurel
- Arrowwood viburnum
See their pictures on the Photos page!